12/27/07

Watching Christmas Slashers

Christmas finally went. Too commercialized for me. The thing for me these days is to actually sit inside and watch Christmas slasher movies. I know. It's a shame really. A young man like me and a young woman like my wife, sitting home on Christmas, not spreading cheer, wasting money and not getting drunk. Instead, we smoked a lot of pot and watched Bob Clark's classic 'Black Christmas'. Simply the best seasonal, if not the best slasher film of all time.

Sorority girls get obscene phone calls and end up murdered one by one. 'Black Christmas' is very atmospheric with an eerie ambience hovering about the large, seemingly empty house. This film can also boast of spinning off a lot of other classic slashers - 'Halloween', 'When A Stranger Calls', just to name a few. 'Silent Night Bloody Night' used the creepy phone call idea a year earlier in 1973.

A great slasher film.

I find it a tragedy that Bob Clark was killed in a car accident alongside his sone when they were hit by a drunk driver. What a waste. I'm sure Clark would have given us another great movie or two.

No comments: